POSITIVE/PROS EFFECTS OF MOBILE PHONES
One of the most important breakthroughs in the world of communication is the rise of mobile phones, a technology that has become an integral part of our everyday lives, both personally and professionally. Mobile phones have vastly contributed to the growth, development, and upliftment of various social, economic and political aspects of the world and they continue to play a pivotal role in shaping the society as we know it today. Let us take a look at both the advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones and how can we make the most of this information.
Proving their growing popularity and application in consumer markets, increased connectivity is one the numerous advantages of mobile phones as they enable people to communicate with a person in another corner of the world without the need of complex devices or expensive technology. With improved mobile technology, people have access to data and they can use the internet to feed their curiosity or entertain their soul to their heart’s content. Additionally, mobile phones can now also be utilized for making payments, shopping for products online, find restaurants, get directions, store information and schedule events. Both personally and professionally, mobile phones have revolutionized the way we interact with each other and carry out our daily functions while living our lives in the constant attention of our companion, our cellular phones. Mobile technology has literally evaporated all the geographical boundaries amongst countries, continents and united the world in a single thread of technology. Talking about the advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones, smartphone has easily replaced and eliminated the need for multiple gadgets or devices and convoluted them all into one piece of cutting-edge technology. Furthermore, the various applications of mobile phones have enabled the users to customize their devices according to their preferences and get the most out of their mobile phones. Thus, mobile phones have evolved from a luxury to a necessity in a short period of time for about 70 percent of the world’s population.
As is the case with technology, some studies and users have admitted to the negative aspect or the disadvantages of mobile phones, causing us to believe that there are both sides to this coin i.e. advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones which users have to bear in the longer run. Primarily, the safety and privacy of a person become the most obvious cons of using a smartphone as it keeps your personal data, confidential information, passwords and sensitive information at risk of online fraud, phishing or spamming attack, data breach and other online hacks and frauds.
Secondly, mobile phones also expose young children, teenagers, and women to a high level of transmission waves which can interfere with internal functions and can even affect organs after prolonged exposure to mobile waves. While discussing the advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones, it is important to highlight that when compared to computers, smartphones have not always proved beneficial for productivity purposes, even though they are well appreciated and acknowledged for their portability. This is obvious as computers are used for achieving substantial objectives whereas mobile phones are utilized to achieve tangible goals while on the move. If convenience has emerged as a major advantage of mobile phones, health hazards such as weak eyes, irregular sleeping patterns, laziness and restless eyes are some of the physical conditions.
Overall, mobile phones are a necessary evil and can be best utilized to meet your personal and professional pursuits with the right mix of usage and breaks. Thus, as mobile technology continues to grow leaps and bounds, these changes might come at a social, physical, mental and economic condition around the world. Of course, with the endless suite of applications being built around the problem statements and ‘gaps’ of the society and its various aspects, smartphones are poised to be more popular and useful than ever. Only time will tell between the advantages and disadvantages of mobile phones, which side will eventually prove to be the winner and make a lasting impact on the lives of future generations. If smartphone technology can become so much popular in just a decade then one can surely imagine its effect being multiplied by many folds in the years to come.
Advantages of Cell Phones
Simply put, Cell Phones are communication devices with superior features, technology, and reliability. These devices go beyond the facility of speaking with someone or making a phone call and can also be utilized to achieve multiple personal and professional tasks. Cell Phones are small enough to fit in your pocket yet are big enough to gather the world’s information for you. Cell phones have made our lives easier and less complicated and it’s time we look at the various advantages of Cell Phones in the times we live –
1. Communication – Frankly, out of the multiple advantages of cell phones, communication is at the top of them all. Technology is a great leveler and cell phones have proved to be one of the most important media for communication on a global level. Cell phone has united people from all walks of life and enabled them to stay connected 24*7*365 in a simple and efficient manner.
2. Social Media – Modern day cell phones, also known as smartphones, have created a wonderful ecosystem of social media wherein anyone from any part of the globe can connect with their friends, families, and acquaintances easily. It is a better and faster way to stay connected with people and getting exposed to information on an international scale. Social media has helped reunite long-lost connections and transcend geographical barriers, and this has been one of the many useful advantages of cell phones for mankind.
3. Convenience – Ask yourself today – Would you like to go back in time and imagine a life without the sheer convenience of cell phones? For most of the people, this would be a terrible question and it is easy to understand the reason why. Cell phones have been made to make our daily lives, both personal and professional, incredibly convenient and smarter than ever. Without cell phones, even basic tasks would seem complex and time-consuming.
4. Facilities – Cell phones have opened up a galore of useful applications, helpful software, and functional facilities that have revolutionized the way we think, work and live our lives. From paying your bills to shopping for products, from capturing a picture to calculating the numbers, there are tons of facilities which have been provided in a single device, thanks to cell phones. Whether you like to do instant messaging or check the weather, you do not need to carry multiple devices anymore, a single piece of advanced technology can achieve it all for you.
5. Personal Development – It has been proven scientifically that the more we do or practice one thing, the better we get at it. With the advent of cell phones, people have started communicating more with each other through voice, texts or videos. Thus, the basic interaction skills and abilities of humans have vastly improved and that is again one of the brilliant advantages of cell phones to be a holistic communication tool.
6. Economy – As humans evolve and adapt to new technology, economies also grow and flourish. Cell phones have played a pivotal role in the economic growth and development of many societies and countries around the world. As communication and technology industry becomes bigger and bigger, the need for cell phones increases and thereby improving and contributing to the economy in the longer run.
7. Safety – Thanks to the ease, affordability, and reach of cell phones, parents no longer need to worry about the whereabouts of their children, spouses need not worry about their late working partners. Cell phones have greatly improved the safety situation in the daily life and now with a press of few buttons, anyone can get in touch with their near and dear ones in an emergency and notify them about their situation or condition. Thus, it is safe to say that cell phones have indeed made the world a safer place than it was before.
8. Cost of Communication – In the early days of mobile technology, only the privileged few could afford a cellular device for communication. However, with evolving advancements in the field of communication, today an average person can easily afford a cell phone. Even the prices or tariffs for making a phone call or sending a text message have been reduced significantly over the years, with more and more network operators charging almost negligible amounts of money to stay connected.
Disadvantages of the mobile phones
Whether it is the street or the classroom or the workplace, mobile phones are omnipresent and people can be found scrolling, searching or simply using them at all times. Mobile phones have become such a huge part of our everyday life that it is hard to imagine our existence without them. As is the case with technology, despite the numerous advantages and convenience offered by mobile phones to people, there are indeed, a growing number of disadvantages to their credit which are now increasingly causing problems in our day-to-day life. While cell phones allow us to stay connected and get access to information whenever or wherever we want to, there are downsides to this convenience and we will talk in detail about what makes cell phones a not-so-perfect piece of technology after all and the disadvantages of mobile phones essay in English below –
1. Addiction – A rather sensible and serious point of all the cons of mobile phones in today’s times, their addiction can be overwhelming for people who cannot imagine their life without their cell phones. People have become so much dependent on mobile technology in their daily lives that their brain development has changed and their psychological, social and physical aspects have also been impaired in some way or the other, even if they are never able to get over their dangerous addiction with mobile phones.
2. Distraction – Reminders, Notifications, Phone calls, email notifications, text messages and so on, cell phones have proved themselves to be the biggest source of a distraction of all time. With people constantly hooked on to the screens of cell phones, it is a worrisome sight to see how easily people can get distracted and deviated in a world of their own with mobile phones in their hands.
3. Health – Numerous studies and research have proven that mobile phones have been linked to numerous studies which have proved the harmful radio waves inside cell phones and their transmission towers to cause cancer. With thousands of different components including metals and chemicals used in the manufacturing of a mobile phone, it is a possibility that many of these materials might interfere with our health and bodily functions with constant exposure for prolonged periods.
4. Environment – Apart from exposing humans to potential damage and diseases, one of the critical disadvantages of mobile phones essay in English is the fact that they are causing irreversible damage to our environment and wreaking havoc with our natural resources. The transmission waves released from cellular towers have been proven to reduce the fertility of soil, deprive plants of nutrition and make the air around us more prone to infections. Moreover, the improper damage and disposal of cell phones and their parts are helping the cause of deterioration of natural resources and polluting the environment.
5. Privacy – With our increased dependence on mobile phones for almost all our daily activities, we have put our private and confidential information, records and data is always at a risk of a cyber threat, online phishing, and frauds. If a cell phone is stolen, there isn’t any way to recover or protect your data from the feisty eyes of a burglar or cyber hacker. Yes, you can report the incident to our cellular provider but by then you could also risk losing your money or information to the vicious motives of information thieves.
6. Crime – The dark side of technology has degraded the lives of countless of people around the world and made them encroached to illicit activities such as pornography, child trafficking, social media shaming, use of psychoactive substances and drug trade. This is one of the most critical yet overlooked disadvantages of a mobile phones essay in English which everyone must know.
7. Safety – We rely on cell phones to navigate us to a destination, be it work or home. Thus, we are constantly relying on technology to distract us and make us more exposed to road accidents and mishaps. It is well advocated that the use of cell phones while driving is not only risky business for your own self but for others around you as well. Thus, the lack of safety while driving is another disadvantage of mobile phones.